Back-to-school time is the perfect moment to reboot your routines. Ready to try something new? From big ideas to small innovations, here are 5 tips to help you start off the school year on the right foot.
1. Adopt a growth mindset. Kids need to hear that their abilities are not “fixed” at birth, and that there is always room to improve. To teach students about the power of a growth mindset, share this TED-Ed Select.
2. Model kind behavior. To fight bullying in schools, start by modeling kindness in your own interactions. Kindness could mean practicing emotional first aid, creating a more inclusive classroom, or simply trying to say ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ to students. For more ways to model kind behavior, see 6 effective ways to stop bullying.
3. Get creative. Want to teach creativity in the classroom? Here are 10 ways to do it. Want to start a daily learning ritual at home? Here’s how one family did it. Want some inspiration from great teachers? Check out these project ideas.
4. Build healthy habits. Students learn best when their physical and emotional needs are met. To start building healthy habits together, watch 7 TED-Ed Lessons for a healthier you.
5. Love unconditionally. Want to raise an amazing adult? This is how, says the former dean of freshman at Stanford.